It's easy to go overboard with gorgeous green beauty products! You can never have too many pink lipsticks, right? Unfortunately, that's not always the case. It's important to be mindful of expiration dates, not only for hygiene's sake, but also so that you're not purchasing in excess of what you'll actually use.
In general, it's wise to use green beauty products within a year. However, there are certain products that really should be used up in just a few months. In an effort to promote a more sustainable lifestyle, I thought I'd go over the four products that you should limit in your makeup collection...
Foundations
I don't know about you, but it takes me forever to finish a foundation or BB Cream! Depending on the formulation, most foundations are good for about 6-12 months. Theoretically, that means that you probably shouldn't be hoarding more than one or two at a time because they just won't last. When it comes to foundation, I think it's important to pick up a few samples before committing to anything full-sized. You just never know how your skin is going to react to a new product, especially throughout different seasons, so I highly recommend checking out The Detox Market, Integrity Botanicals, or Safe & Chic for trial sizes to put to the test. If I had to pick one foundation formula to own for the rest of my life, it would be the Jane Iredale's Glow Time Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream, followed closely by Kjaer Weis's Cream Foundation.
Lip Glosses
I know, sacrilege! How could I ever suggest that you don't need a lip gloss to match every color in the universe?? Well, we all know what it's like when a lip gloss goes bad. It gets that gloopy, slimy texture and a horrible, sour smell! It's no surprise that gloss is a bacteria breeding ground since you dip that applicator into the tube over and over again. Bleh! In general, lip glosses last for about a year before they start to get funky. Downsizing to strictly my favorite red, pink, peach, nude, and berry glosses has really helped me optimize my collection. I adore Vapour Beauty's lip gloss formulation, but 100% Pure and Ilia Beauty also make some beautiful options.
No one wants an eye infection! Liners generally last for 6-12 months if they're properly cared for. Because I often use eye shadow or mascara as liner, I really never purchase eye liner pencils. I also find that the colors don't vary much from brand-to-brand, so multiples blacks, browns, blues, etc., aren't necessary to create stunning, unique looks. I really like the pigmented, super creamy liners from Alima Pure and W3ll People!
Mascaras
I only open one tube of mascara at a time because they only last for about 3 months. In fact, even with everyday use, I'm rarely able to finish an entire tube of mascara before it's time to part ways. With that in mind, I actually find it beneficial to purchase travel-sized tubes of mascara. Not only do they cost less, but they last just the right amount of time. You all know that I am obsessed with Lily Lolo's Mascara, but W3ll People's Expressionist Mascara is also fabulous!
---
I hope this helps and remember to keep in mind that natural beauty products usually have shorter shelf lives because they don't contain any nasty preservatives!



No comments