I adore the rich pigmentation of loose mineral shadows and blushes, but it always seems like more product ends up on the counter than on my face! No matter how carefully I coax the product out of its packaging, I always make a mess! :( The struggle is real! Loose shadows also take up a lot of space and if you are a green beauty addict like myself, you know that space is coveted!
Pressing loose shadows is super simple and requires very few tools. Here is what you'll need:
- Empty Eye Shadow / Blush Pans
- A Binding Agent (I used Organic Jojoba Oil, but Coconut Oil works well too!)
- Water (or 91% isopropyl alcohol if you are in a hurry)
- A Small Mixing Bowl + Spoon (I used a bobby pin)
- A Tamping Tool (I used some spare change)
- Pressing Cloth or Ribbons
- Pen
Optional Tools
- Eye Dropper
- Q-tips
- Labels
- Butter Knife (to help remove the sifting lids from your loose products)
First, gather all your tools and make sure that everything has been properly cleaned. Label the back of your pans to keep track of the names of all of your shadows and blushes. Then, pour your loose product into your mixing bowl. This is Backstabber, a gorgeous fuscia plum shadow from Parlo Cosmetics!

The amount of binder you'll want to add depends on the amount of product you are pressing. For every 1/8 of a teaspoon of product, I like to add 1 drop of jojoba oil.

Next, start stirring! You'll quickly see a crumbly texture start to develop as your product clumps up. Continue to mix and add just enough water or isopropyl alcohol to get a smooth, thick paste. If you add too much liquid, it will take a little longer to dry before you can press your products and you may have to work in layers to fill your pan fully.
Pour your product into the pan. Use can use your stirring tool to help spread your product. To make sure that your product is distributed evenly and to get rid of any air bubbles, gently pick up your pan and drop it against the table several times.
When your poured creation is completely dry (this can take 24-72 hours), take your pressing ribbon or cloth and lay it over the pan. With your tamping tool or spare change, press forcefully against the pan to make sure that your product is really packed down.
Add your pressed shadows and blushes to a magnetic palette and you're good to go!

Top row of Parlo Cosmetics Eye Shadows (left to right): Big Talk; Love Nugget; Backstabber; Ssk Boom Baa; Under the Break; and Just Cause
Bottom row of Parlo Cosmetics Blushes: Shimmy, Shimmy (this is actually a shadow, but I have been using it as a highlight and it's stunning!); Betty; and Call Me Baby
Enjoy!
*Some of the Parlo Cosmetics products featured in this post are affiliate samples. As always, however, I have presented my 100% honest opinion. I cannot, nor will I ever, accept compensation in exchange for a positive review.









You made it look so effortless! I always make a huge mess when I press. Great job Courtney!
ReplyDelete