Reviews

Reviews
Reviews

Favorites

Favorites
Favorites

Knowledge Series

Knowledge Series
Knowledge Series

My Skincare Secrets

I have incredibly pale skin that is often quite dry and my pores tend to clog easily. Therefore, I have always been quite protective of my skin. Aside from my standard skincare regimen, I always wear plenty of sunscreen and avoid touching my face throughout the day. I also don't vary my routine very much because I have a good sense of what works for my skin and what doesn't. No one likes trying a new product for the first time just to wake up in the morning to a breakout. Bleh!

While I enjoy experimenting with products that promise a youthful, radiant complexion, it is all about balance. Changing your entire routine at once will likely upset your skin. Try sticking to your staples and swapping in new goodies gradually. If your skin is exceptionally sensitive, opt for a patch test before slathering yourself in a new miracle cream.

Skincare secrets: Tata Harper, Herbivore, May Lindstrom, One Love Organics, Acure Organics, Josh Rosebrook

Here are a few additional steps that I like to adhere to in order to keep my skin looking its best:

  • I briefly mentioned these two tips above, but to reiterate, protect your skin from the sun and try not to touch your face throughout the day. 
    • Even on cloudy days, your skin is exposed to UV rays. Therefore, it is important to be diligent about using some form of sun protection. My favorite facial sunscreen is Josh Rosebrook's Tinted Nutrient Day Cream (review here)! 
    • Also, when you’re out and about, you never know what your picking up along the way. Touching your face is a great way to spread germs and encourage breakouts. No thank you! Similarly, be sure that your hands are clean before washing your face or dipping your fingers into a pot of your favorite product to prevent contamination.

  • Always take your makeup off before going to sleep. Regardless of how tired you are, properly removing your makeup will prevent additional dirt and sweat from clogging your pores.

  • Cleanse, tone, and moisturize. Select a gentle cleanser that suits the needs of your skin and try using it in conjunction with a muslin or other reusable cloth to help take off as much makeup as possible. Then, use a balancing toner to remove any further residue and brighten the skin. Finish up with your favorite moisturizer to restore hydration.

  • Try adding a beautifying treatment to your routine every once and a while. Once your skin is freshly cleansed and toned but before you've moisturized, apply a special serum or oil that addresses a specific concern. I have been enjoying the Morning Glory Caffeinated Firming Serum from One Love Organics to tighten and diminish the appearance of my pores.

  • Exfoliate at least twice a week. My Grandmother has amazing skin and swears by an abrasive sponge called a Buf-Puf. While my dry skin can't quite tolerate that level of exfoliation, I do enjoy a gentle scrub, such as Tata Harper's Regenerating Cleanser (review here). I like to use this product every other day, but it all depends on the specific needs of your skin.


Do you have any skincare secrets?

No comments