Reviews

Reviews
Reviews

Favorites

Favorites
Favorites

Knowledge Series

Knowledge Series
Knowledge Series

Turmeric

Although it has been used for thousands of years, turmeric's popularity is exploding! Commonly associated with Indian cuisine, there is much more to this warm, earthy spice than meets the eye!

Turmeric - anti-inflammatory - benefits

As part of the ginger family, this root is not only a fabulous flavor enhancer, but it is also believed to have powerful anti-inflammatory properties. As a Biomedical Engineer, my studies have led me to the realization that inflammation and disease are intimately intermingled. In an effort to protect itself, the body triggers the inflammatory response to orchestrate a defense against infection and to coordinate tissue repair and regeneration. However, when inflammation becomes chronic, things can start to go haywire! For instance, the inflammatory process can be initiated even when there is no injury and then doesn't end when it should. 

Curcumin, the chemical in turmeric that gives it its bright yellow hue, is also thought to be responsible for its anti-inflammatory benefits. Everything from cancer to Alzheimer's disease to joint pain and even headaches have been linked to inflammation. Therefore, the potential to decrease chronic inflammation has made turmeric and other natural anti-inflammatories seriously buzzworthy!

While the amount of curcumin in the turmeric that you add to your favorite curry is minimal, there are also potent supplements available. 

If you are looking for ways to incorporate more turmeric into your diet, here are some of my favorite turmeric treats!

  • Try adding some turmeric to your most loved smoothie!

What are your favorite recipes that incorporate turmeric?

Reference: Yale J Biol Med. 2006 Dec; 79(3-4): 123–130. Why Cancer and Inflammation?

2 comments

  1. I'm totally onboard the turmeric train. Celebrations Herbals makes a turmeric ginger lemongrass tea that I drink fairly regularly. I've also thought about adding a teaspoon of turmeric to fruit smoothies but haven't done it yet. Maybe I'll try it out today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I add turmeric to berry smoothies all of the time! You can hardly taste the turmeric, but it does add a hint of ginger-like spiciness. I definitely need to try out that tea!! It sounds delicious! <3

      Delete